Thursday, July 31, 2008

August 1, 2008

Turn your speakers up.

Christina Rebecca-Glenn Medeiros, "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You"

(Jennifer Rebecca, too-that's me)

I adore this song, I've had the lyrics engraved in my mind since I was a little girl. Never knew quite where it came from, but it's always been there. And when my precious youngest daughter was born, life was definitely changing. Unhappy in my marriage, I decided to take my newborn baby and her 18 month old sister, and leave. Go home, let my husband figure out what was important to him, and then see if he still wanted us. I was still young, and scared, and didn't believe in divorce (I come from a long, long line of divorce), but didn't believe in an unhappy life, either. I was so lost, had no idea what to do or what was going to happen with my life. Our lives-I had 2 baby girls relying on me, now, too. And I felt especially guilty taking my new baby girl away from her daddy. And I just needed her to know that no matter what changed in our lives, I would never regret having her, even during this chaotic time in my life. The lyrics from somewhere in my past popped into my head..."the world may change my whole life through but nothing's gonna change my love for you", and I can still see myself singing it to her, sitting there crying and rocking her, trying to protect her from the insecurity I felt about our future with her daddy. And it became her song-she loved to hear it, she'd grin when I'd sing it. It was like it reassured her tiny little heart even before she knew what it meant. She knew the words of the chorus by the time she was 3. When she was 5, she'd ask me to sing it as she laid her head on my lap and I ran my fingers through her blond curls. And a few days ago, when 7 years had passed since that moment, and her daddy and I had made it through and were stronger than ever, it randomly came on an 80's station I listen to, and I recognized it, and sat there soaking in every word, and when it was over, I went searching for it. And found it. And as I listened to it a second time, I heard not Glenn Medeiros' voice, but my mom's, singing it to me when I was a little girl. And it instantly clicked, how I knew every word, how I felt that song in my soul my entire life, even though I didn't ever remember hearing a recording of it. And I thought about my mom, as a single mom, feeling the same thing I'd felt when I sang it, reassuring me with the same thing I reassured my daughter with. And then I called my mom and told her how much I loved her. And I do. She's my best friend, my counselor, my sounding board, my role model, and my hero.

So, now it belongs to me, as well as Tina. And she's willing to share. After all, "you shared your middle name with me, Mom. I'll share my song with you."

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

Bobbi said...

This is such a beautiful post Jenn, and yes I love this song too-totally on my ipod. You have such a strong bond with your childrena dn they are so lucky to have such a great (and cool) mom!

You know what would be fun is to do little storyboards for each of your kids songs....Like 5x10's on easels. I can just see this with those pictures on either side and some of the lyrics in the middle.."I'll be there for you if you should need me
You don't have to change a thing
I love you just the way you are
So come with me and share the view
I'll help you see forever too "

Michelle said...

another beautiful job of journaling. I really like how you can share how you feel and your love for your kids. I hope they realize what an awesome mom they have!

pat said...

Jenn, I am absolutely teared-up. What a beautiful heartfelt post, and how cool that you were able to trace your love for that song back to YOUR mom!!

Sandra Collins said...

this post is so beautiful - what a special thing to have between your mom, you and your little girl. TFS

Debbi said...

This is a wonderful post - touching journaling. And the pictures go with it perfectly!

Heather said...

More goose-bumps. You are a wonderful storyteller.

Shawna said...

Beautiful! Your writing gave me chills... what an amazing mother you are. Love this shot of your daughter... the color is just perfect!

IndieJane said...

I adore that girl.

Jess said...

OMG, I LOVE that song!!! Is it strange of me to have been singing along at the top of my lungs while reading your post?